Members of the National Food Suppliers Association, who have been demanding payment of GH278 million that is owed to them, have been camping at the headquarters of the National Food Buffer Stock Company (NAFCO) since Tuesday, July 4, in order to get their payments.
They will eventually get their money.
Bryan Acheampong, the Minister for Food and Agriculture, disclosed during an interview on Eyewitness News on Citi FM that he met with the members of the organization on Thursday, July 6, and informed them that the process of making payments had already begun. The interview was broadcast on Citi FM.
Payment to food suppliers to begin July 17 – Bryan Acheampong assures
He went on to say that the first portion of the payment is anticipated to be distributed on July 17, 2023.
“To our great good fortune, a reconciliation has taken place; payment is currently being processed for them, and we will begin making payments to them on July 17.” Selorm Adonoo was told by the Minister of Agriculture, “I can assure you that beginning on July 17, those who have supplied goods and have been given clearance will be paid their money.”
In addition, he emphasized that the payment was not a response to the complaint of the members who were wronged; rather, it was something that the government had already put into place, and the protest had merely compelled the government to disclose the payment date to the public.
“There was no need to have the protest in order for these people to be paid beginning on July 17. They are not being paid because they have protested because we had timelines on when they were going to receive the money, and the protest has only forced us to come out to tell them the date for the payment, and so I told them today that it was not because of the protest that they were being paid.”